All but two of the SEC’s 14 basketball programs hit the court Monday night to open their 2022-23 home basketball seasons.
All five SEC-ranked teams had solid wins Monday night. Vanderbilt was the only SEC team to lose its opener, but also had the toughest competition. The Commodores hosted Memphis in a Tennessee showdown at Nashville.
South Carolina will start the season Tuesday night, with the LSU Tigers giving hints Wednesday night in Death Valley.
Here’s a quick look at what the 12 competing SEC teams did on Monday night:
Howard @ No. 4 Kentucky
- Kentucky wins 95-63
- The Wildcats dealt with Howard on Monday night behind four players with more than 15 points in the game. Head coach John Calipari praised his team after the game for their “relentless” success in reducing rebounds and choppy plays throughout the game.
North Dakota State @ #10 Arkansas
- Arkansas wins 76-58
- The Hogs’ 100th season got off to a good start after the Razorback won 76-58 on Monday night. Sophomore guard Trevon Brazile dropped 21 points and 12 rebounds on the night leading to his first career double-double.
Tennessee Tech @ No. 11 Tennessee
- Tennessee wins 75-43
- Despite a couple of back-to-back shots in the first half, Tennessee found their rhythm in the second half, especially from three runs. Inbound transfer Tyreke Key was terrific from depth, leading all scorers in the game with 17 points.
George Mason @ No. 15 Auburn
- Auburn wins 70-52
- Bruce Pearl’s Auburn team found a solid defensive win Monday night, forcing a veteran George Mason squad to 19 turnovers.
Longwood @ No. 20 Alabama
- Alabama wins 75-54
- The Crimson Tide had four different double-digit scorers and four different double-digit rebounds Monday night in their season-opening win over Longwood.
Texas A&M-CC @ State of Mississippi
- Mississippi State wins 63-44
- New Bulldogs head coach Chris Jans wanted to bring a “blue collar” mentality to the Mississippi State program and he did just that with a hard-fought second-half win over Texas A&M- Corpus Christi.
- Memphis wins 76-67
- Two of Tennessee State’s top three basketball teams faced off in Nashville on Monday, as Penny Hardaway’s Tigers survived a second-half comeback attempt by Jerry Stackhouse’s Commodores to start the season.
UL Monroe @ Texas A&M
- Texas A&M wins 87-54
- Solid three-point shooting (46%) and three-point defense (10%) carried Texas A&M to victory in Monday’s season opener.
Southern Indiana @ Missouri
- Missouri wins 97-91
- The only SEC season-opening shootout took place at Columbia on Monday night as the Tigers survived a 60-point second half from Southern Indiana to hold on to their first win of the season.
West Carolina @ Georgia
- Georgia wins 68-55
- The Mike White move moved from Florida to Georgia in the offseason as the Bulldogs earned their first win of the season in a double-digit home win over West Carolina.
Stony Brook @ Florida
- Florida wins 81-45
- With Mike White gone from the program, new head coach Todd Golden led the Gators to a dominating 36-point victory over Stony Brook behind the hot hands of two trade players (Fudge, Richard).
Alcorn State @ Ole Miss
- Ole Miss wins 73-58
- After taking a one-point half-time lead, the Ole Miss Rebels put in a strong second-half performance against Alcorn to secure the season-opening victory on Monday.